2011 Was A Pretty Great Year…Posted 31 December 2011 by Nick
I’m going to go ahead and come out and say it: 2011 was a pretty amazing year for me. Like, better than most years. I’ve been thinking about it a lot the last month or two as this year has been drawing to a close and running down some of the various activities and adventures I’ve found myself in. I decided it seemed appropriate to make some kind of list, if only so that I have a good way to remember this past year. Also, as my friend Josiah so eloquently put it, “bitches love lists.”
A couple of quick notes before my list: This is not chronological or in any kind of order. I’m actually writing this to distract myself from some actual work I should be doing, so all of these items are just as they come to me. Also, this list is hardly a complete run-down of my year. Just some of the highlights that seem worth sharing.
With all of that in mind, here we go!
1. Continued working as a barback/door guy/bouncer at the wonderful Meanwhile Bar. Our great regulars and awesome staff make this easily the best job I’ve ever had.
3. 2011 was an awesome year for music, especially for my long-time favorite genre, hip-hop. My home state of Michigan was at the forefront of acclaimed music.
4. 2011 was the year dubstep music took over and I found out I kind of like some of it.
5. I did a bunch of karaoke in weird bars.
8. My coverage of Gathering of the Juggalos got me called a “counterfeit” by The Atlantic (in link form only).
9. I worked in, and learned about the SEO industry for a hot minute (it doesn’t pay shit).
10. Began as an Editorial Intern at The Rapidian.
11. Took a couple of trips to Detroit and kind of fell in love with the city.
13. Took a great trip to San Francisco to visit my dad and sister. I also kind of fell in love with Oakland while I was there. I also spent a great day and a half in Portland, OR visiting some old friends.
14. I became really disillusioned with politics and only consider it as fodder for jokes on Twitter.
15. If I have to throw in one low point of this whole year, it was the closing of my long-time hangout, 76 Coffee. However, the memories and friendships I value from my time there live on.
16. Basically maintained all of my worthwhile long-time friendships, while adding several new ones.
17. Last but not least, met and fell in love with an amazing girl who I will be having New Year’s Eve dinner with very soon. Also, she is better than you at karaoke.
I guess I need to draw some sort of conclusion to end this post, and I guess this year. If I had to sum it up succinctly, I guess in 2011 I did a ton of stuff without really doing anything. I don’t have what you would call a “career.” I’m no closer to that 9-5 job some of my family wants me to get. I certainly didn’t make much progress in going from the 99% to the 1%, to use a bit of timely humor. But all of that in mind, I loved my 2011. Sometimes it was crazy, sometimes it was confusing, sometimes difficult, but always fun. If I had to name a year as being my “favorite,” I would have to say it has been this past one. At this point I have no reason to expect less from 2012, except you know, that whole world ending thing.
HAVE I MENTIONED HOW EXCITED I AM THAT THE LIONS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS?!!!?